We're two weeks in, we're still married and we don't hate any of our meat eating friends so we must be doing something right! To be fair though, that's probably because we've been working through the meat in the freezer so not a huge amount has changed yet.
Our first properly committed night, we were invited out to dinner at a friend's house. We don't expect anyone else to cater to us so we were happy to eat whatever they provided. Happily, though, the nachos we ate that night were made with homelike beef supplied by a family member and made from happy, grass fed cows, privately reared, who had never seen the inside of a cattle farm.
Sustainable meat, straight from the source - exactly what we want to eat more of.
The food we have in our freezer is admittedly not sustainable, grass fed, or organic/free range. But I think throwing away food, any food, would be counter productive to what we're trying to achieve so we have already agreed to eat it in small doses until it's gone. After that we will only buy and eat home kill meat and freshly caught fish.
As for eating out, we've been pretty good on that front. I watched Food Inc with a friend of mine, which pretty much guaranteed I won't be having McDonalds (or any other fast food of that variety) any time in the near future. Our other normal pitfall is Mexican food, and I must admit to having a chicken taco in Auckland last week. However, that was the last of the cheating and since then I've been checking out vegetarian options in different places. Spinach and Feta rolls have become a new favourite, and Stu had discovered beetroot burgers and brown rice energy rolls, both of which he loves.
Being able to find a substitute for food that we like (like burgers and sausage rolls) and still be able to maintain the sustainable lifestyle we've chosen is awesome and it's been easier than I imagined it would be. I did hear rumours that going vegetarian would guarantee weight loss, but I guess if you're substituting meat in your diet with chocolate that probably won't happen too quickly...!
No comments:
Post a Comment